Friday, October 4, 2013

What's hitchhiking?


Hitchhiking, in few words, is to ask strangers for a ride on their vehicules. - As simple as that.

You just have to go near a good spot outside the city and use the "hitchhikers thumb" or a sign with the name of your destination.

Hitchhiker's thumb

And then you would say: What!? Is not that dangerous? Well, in fact walking on the street is dangerous, but not because of that you're going to stay at home forever!

Hitchhiking is amazing, and I'll tell you why:

1. It's free
2. You know very interesting people - and sometimes you still get in touch with them
3. You learn a lot from the people you know and the city you go
4. Sometimes this wonderful people you meet give you  water, juice, food or money - You start believing in humanity again
5. Sometimes, also they host you
6. You see more landscapes than a normal tourist
7. Sometimes you arrive to a city you didn't plan to go, but then you love it
8. You don't need to be "on time" on the road

Then, you'll think:
"Yeah, whatever! But I'm not young anymore".
Well, that doesn't matter! There're 80 years old people doing it! So, what are you wating for?

Also you can ask,
why would this people stop for me?
Well, in my personal experience these are the main phrases people told me:

1. "I can't leave a women by herself on the middle of the road"
2. "This is not a good spot, I'll take you to a better one"
3. "I'm a hitchhiker too"
4. "I used to hitchhike too!"
5. "I always pick up hitchhikers"
6. "You're going to my same destination"
7. "Are you lost?"
8. "Is forbidden to hitchhike here"

Mostly these is what people tell me, but the main reason is thay they want someone to talk with :) So, the people who stops for you are Wonderful! Because it's also a risk for them to stop as same as is a risk for you to get in. So everything is about trusting people and trust in your instincts.

* "Hitchhiking" in other countries:

Argentina: "Hacer dedo"
Brazil: "Ir de carona"
France: "Faire du stop"
Peru: "Tirar dedo"
México: "Pedir ride"

-These are the phrases I know by experience and because I met people from there, I don't copy paste from other websites ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment